Communities Mobilizing For Change On Alcohol (CMCA)
Goal: Our philosophy is simply this: Young people drink alcohol because they can get it. Therefore, to prevent underage drinking, we work to reduce youth’s access to alcohol.
Co-Chair: Jeff Davis and Jill Pecht
Regular Meeting Time: 2nd Wednesday of each month at 1:30PM at the Mifflin County Courthouse, 20 North Wayne Street, Lewistown (we meet in the 2nd floor Conference Room B).
- Print an annual Safe Homes Directory and provide it free of charge to all participating parents who sign a pledge agreeing to provide supervision and to disallow the use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs in their homes. Parents are encouraged to contact each other about parties or gatherings to ensure the safety of the youth involved. [see Safe Homes Directory]
- Partner with the PA Liquor Control Board (PLCB) to coordinate local training for liquor licensees and law enforcement officers Create a media “buzz” around underage drinking to educate the public and to increase awareness surrounding these issues.
- Implement activities to promote safety at Prom season, including mailings to parents of 11th and 12th grade students regarding the PA Social Host* law. We are working bring alcohol-free Prom events to our high school students.
- Educate the community about, and encourage the consistent enforcement of the PA Social Host Law* to reduce teen’s access to alcohol, thereby decreasing teen alcohol use.
* If an underage youth is illegally provided alcohol and then injures someone as a result of that alcohol use, the PA Social Host Liability Policy enables a third party to sue the individual who provided the alcohol. For information about PA Social Host Liability Laws, see
For more information about CMCA, see http://www.epi.umn.edu/alcohol/cmca/index.shtm
For information about PA laws regarding underage alcohol use, see http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=611975&mode=2